- This salon has passed.
An Investigation Into Main Character Energy
December 7, 2022 at 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm EST
Start time where you are: Your time zone couldn't be detected
How do you view yourself? What are “characters”? Are you the side character or the main character?
Whether we realize it or not, all of us have a story of us — a character arc. How do we interface with that?
With the release of Taylor Swift’s popular album, “Midnights,” people are once again discussing the idea of popular singers espousing “Main Character Syndrome,” and it’s observable in our culture today.
Sometimes it’s called a “syndrome,” but other times it can be an “energy.” What are the pros and cons then? How do we understand and relate to this concept as something that affects not just us, but the people around us, too?
In this salon, host Crystal Duan will guide a discussion to reflect on how we show up in our lives and how we relate ourselves to the world around us and our various forms of self.
Some questions we might explore:
- How do you relate to “main character energy”? Do you think you have it? If so, why?
- If you don’t relate to main character energy, how do you think about it?
- How do you think society has shaped main character energy? Do you think it is “good” or “bad”?
- What is the most appropriate and helpful way to view this energy?
- What have destructive manifestations looked like before (personal examples of all distances welcome!)?
- What are ways we can balance and have more main character energy in our lives, and what are ways we can cut off from it?
Some suggested reading:
- We All Have “Main-Character Energy” Now
- The Trouble with “Main Character Syndrome”
- Have you got “Main Character Syndrome,” the worrying Millennial condition when people view their life as a narcissistic film thanks to social media?
Join us to unpack this concept further and take a critical look at how it manifests in our communities and lives.