- This salon has passed.
Being You Is Not As Simple as It Sounds: A Conversation with Anil Seth
October 27, 2021 at 8:00 pm - 11:00 pm BST
Start time where you are: Your time zone couldn't be detected
In this salon, Anil Seth, professor of cognitive and computational neuroscience at the University of Sussex, co-director of the Canadian Institute for Advance Research Program on Brain, Mind, and Consciousness, will join us for a Q&A discussion of his new book: Being You — A New Science of Consciousness.
The discussion will be co-hosted by Bryan Kam.
We welcome you to attend whether or not you’ve had the chance to read the book, and the discussion requires no background in neuroscience.
Somehow, within each of our brains, billions of neurons work to create our conscious experience. How does this happen? Why do we experience life in the first person?
After over twenty years researching the brain, world-renowned neuroscientist Anil Seth puts forward a radical new theory of consciousness and self. His unique theory of what it means to ‘be you’ challenges our understanding of perception and reality and it turns what you thought you knew about yourself on its head.
Good to read/watch pre-salon:
- The new book! Being You – A New Science of Consciousness (available now in the UK and October 19th in the US/Canada)
- Guardian review of the book: Being You by Professor Anil Seth review – the exhilarating new science of consciousness
- Aeon video: Anil Seth on why our senses are fine-tuned for utility, not for ‘reality’
- Aeon article: The Hard Problem of Consciousness is a Distraction from the Real One
- TED Talk: Your Brain Hallucinates your conscious Reality
📚 Become a member, get a free ticket every month, access our forums, members-only events, and more!