- This salon has passed.
Psychedelic Utopias: Where did the 60s go wrong?
August 31, 2022 at 8:00 pm - 11:00 pm EDT
Start time where you are: Your time zone couldn't be detected
Join hosts Alex Criddle and Ava for the final salon in their Foundational Texts and Topics of Psychedelics series as they explore the utopian ideals of the 60s and 70s, what they did right and wrong, and how to think about creating golden ages and utopias.
During the initial psychedelic era, psychonauts, hippies, and normies alike were working towards world peace. Psychedelics didn’t change the world the way we expected them to—what happened? Where did famous psychedelic proponents and organizers such as Timothy Leary, Ken Kesey and his Acid Tests, Terence McKenna, and others go wrong, and what can we learn from their mistakes? During this new era of psychedelic revival, what are our adjusted expectations? What are we doing differently?
Questions and topics we will explore:
- Why didn’t psychedelics provide a utopia like many expected? What did they do wrong?
- What approaches were correct but not focused on heavily enough?
- What are we focusing on today that is correct/incorrect?
- What do successful golden ages and utopias have in common?
- LSD The Wonder Child ch. 18 by Thomas Hatsis
- The False Promise of Psychedelic Utopia by Shayla Love
- LSD—My Problem Child ch. 4 & 5 by Albert Hofmann
Image by HeavensLastAngel