- This salon has passed.
Pursuing an Abundance Agenda – Noah Smith & Kim-Mai Cutler, feat. Dylan Matthews – SuperSalon
May 14, 2022 at 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm UTC-7
Start time where you are: Your time zone couldn't be detected
In this salon, Vox reporter Dylan Matthews will lead a discussion between Kim-Mai Cutler, partner at Initialized Capital and leading thinker on housing and technology, and Noah Smith, economist/Substacker/bunny enthusiast. The three will discuss the potential and barriers to an “abundance agenda” in the United States:
- What can be done to supercharge growth and make key goods like housing, food, and transportation more accessible to all?
- What would a progressive version of supply-side economics look like, an economic policy focused on both plentiful supply and fair distribution?
- How different would America, and other developed nations, look with abundant energy, abundant homes, and abundant educational opportunities?
- Are there countries that have successfully pursued an abundance agenda? Are there countries that have tried and failed to pursue one? What can we learn from both?
- What political incentives are there to create scarcity? Are the barriers material or ideological? And can they be overcome?
We’ll explore all these questions with an eye to not just lofty rhetoric about a world of plenty, but to concrete ideas to break impasses as well.