- This salon has passed.
Reboot Your Life: Own Your Story (PART 1/3)
Tuesday January 24 at 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm EST
Start time where you are: Your time zone couldn't be detected
(PART 1/3) Own Your Story: Developing an empowering self-narrative in times of transition.
Summary: In periods of transition or change, the stories we tell about ourselves play an enormous role in how others perceive us, and how we perceive ourselves. In this workshop salon, executive coach Jason Shen will share his 5C model for crafting a self-narrative that is concise, empowering, and effective.
“Reboot Your Life” Three Episode Mini-Series:
- 1/24 – Own Your Story: Developing an empowering self-narrative in times of transition.
- 2/14 – Finding Courage: Using fear setting to move towards our deepest desires.
- TBD – Articulating Your Core Values
Details: Our lives are made up of a series of stories that we tell ourselves and others. These stories shape how we see ourselves and the world around us, and they can have a powerful impact on our thoughts, feelings, and actions.
One of the hardest things about dealing with a layoff, breakup, or unexpected loss is the narrative break. We had one story we told ourselves and others about our lives but now we’re living another. Great storytellers shift the narrative and write themselves a better future.
In this discussion, we will examine how all personal stories are assembled from 5 core components:
- Character—the protagonist of the story (typically the narrator)
- Context—the time, place, and premise that character finds themselves
- Conflict—the worthy goal the character is seeking and the obstacles in their way
- Choice—the decisions and actions the character makes in pursuit of their goal
- Change—how the choices played out and the growth and lessons learned by the character
We will take time to write out an empowering personal story of our own, one that uplifts us and reveals an important aspect of who we are, and then practice sharing those stories out loud with the group in a safe environment.
Overall, this salon is an opportunity for us to explore the stories that make up our lives and consider how we can shape them in a way that is meaningful and authentic. It is also a chance to connect with one another and share our experiences in a supportive and understanding environment.
- 105: Main Character Energy—an issue of Jason’s newsletter on applying storytelling principles to our own lives
- How to Pitch Netflix—A masterclass by Netflix executive Chris Mack on what makes for a compelling story