- This salon has passed.
ReThinking K-12 Education
October 2, 2022 at 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm PDT
Start time where you are: Your time zone couldn't be detected
This will be an information-filled salon during which we’ll explore multiple educational models and options available to students these days. We will also set aside plenty of time for participant questions and discussion. Hosted by Lori Dunlap, mother of two grown homeschooled sons and author of, “From Home Education to Higher Education.”
When Lori and her husband noticed that their two young sons weren’t thriving in elementary school, they decided to make the leap into homeschooling. The choice to follow a nontraditional educational path was not always easy or clear (there were a few sleepless nights along the way, especially at the beginning!), but now that their sons are grown, they look back on that decision as one of the best they ever made.
In this salon, Lori will share the story of her family’s unique educational journey along with stories of other homeschooling families she and her family met along the way. Whether you are just beginning to consider alternative options for your young child, or are further along the path and planning your older child’s next phase of education, this salon will provide a variety of stories, information, and resources to inspire and guide you. Specifically, we will explore questions like:
- Why do some families choose to educate their children outside of the traditional school system?
- What are the risks and benefits to following a non-traditional educational path?
- What do terms like “homeschooling,” “unschooling,” “worldschooling,” and “learning pods” mean, and how do families decide which approach to follow?
No pre-reading is required, but here are a few recommended resources to get you started:
- Book: “How Children Learn,” by John Holt
- Article: “Why We Stopped Making Einsteins,” by Erik Hoel
- TED Talk: “Bring on the Learning Revolution,” with Sir Ken Robinson