- This salon has passed.
Rethinking “Work/Life Balance”: A Holiday Self-Exploration with Gena Gorlin and Roy Bahat
December 17, 2021 at 1:00 pm - 3:30 pm PST
Start time where you are: Your time zone couldn't be detected
Join psychology professor and psychologist Dr Gena Gorlin, venture capitalist and writer Roy Bahat, and Interintellect founder Anna Gát for a discussion of work, rest, and the fully-lived life.
Before the Holidays, we will gather for a roundtable-style salon to explore the much discussed but often misunderstood questions around so-called “work/life balance”: how does the meaning we derive from our work relate to the rest of our identity, and vice versa? What is the ideal mix of work and rest in our lives at any given time, and what would it mean to be ambitious about both? Whether you’re working in technology or some other high-pressure field, trying to make time for family or pining for alone time—this salon is for you!
The main topics we will touch upon:
- How does our attitude toward and relationship with work—not just in the narrow sense of what we do for money, but in the broad sense of effortful activity directed toward cumulative goals—affect our mental health? What about our attitude toward rest?
- Are there more and less healthy ways to relate to our work? E.g., is it better to be motivated by money, or impact, or sense of community, or sheer enjoyment? Are some of these motivations more combinable than others?
- Is it a bad thing for our personal and professional identities to “collide”? E.g., is it ever a good idea to fall in love with a colleague, or to hire a close friend?
- How do the things we do on holiday affect how we feel about our work, and vice versa?
- What’s the psychological role of rest, reflection, and time off in the life of someone who loves their work? What about someone who hates or feels indifferent toward their work?
- What is “self-care,” and how does it fit into all of this?
We hope you can join this important—and hopefully, restful—salon!
(All proceeds from this event will be donated to Rethink Mental Illness.)
📚 Become a member, get a free ticket every month, access our forums, members-only events, and more!