- This salon has passed.
The Beginning of Infinity: Laying the Foundation
Sunday May 14 at 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm CEST
Start time where you are: Your time zone couldn't be detected
Humanity faces many challenges that urge us to acquire clarity of thought and develop a shared global memeplex that promotes progress, so that we can overcome obstacles and reach the stars. In his book The Beginning of Infinity, philosopher and physicist David Deutsch covers a wide range of knowledge- and progress-related topics. We will mainly address three of them: good explanations, criticism, and creativity. And then we’ll try to define what does it mean to have correct epistemology and how we can arrive there.
Overall, the plan for this salon is to delve into:
- Good explanations: hard to vary, falsifiable, reaching beyond their initial scope.
- Criticism and defiance of authority.
- Creativity. What it is and what increases it.
- Powerful epistemology.
We will also touch briefly:
- Applying Occam’s Razor to various approaches to knowledge on the meta level.
- How Nietzschean yes-saying may help us not to get distracted with falsehoods?
- Why false ideas are not always bad and how our creative mind can employ those?
This salon will be recorded.
It will be great if you will have read The Beginning of Infinity in full but even the first 4 chapters will provide you with enough context.
If you want to dig deeper into critical rationalism, you may find this website to be of great value.