- This salon has passed.
The Trouble with Neuroscience: Erik Hoel on Consciousness, Free Will and the Limits of Science
September 8, 2023 at 10:00 pm - 11:30 pm BST
Start time where you are: Your time zone couldn't be detected
Join Erik Hoel, Forbes 30 Under 30 scientist, for a SuperSalon on his new book, “The World Behind the World.” Come and discover, together with Interintellect founder Anna Gát, how our brain forms conscious experiences and see the potential for a revolution in neuroscience and technology!
Neuroscience has long promised answers to the profound questions of consciousness, free will, and human existence as such. But what if our current scientific paradigms offer no way to answer those questions?
Join us for a thought-provoking SuperSalon with renowned neuroscientist Erik Hoel as we delve into his latest work, “The World Behind the World: Consciousness, Free Will, and the Limits of Science.” In it Hoel argues that establishing a proven theory of consciousness would trigger a paradigm shift in the field of neuroscience and the future of technology—transforming the very fabric of our society.
In this SuperSalon, we will discuss questions such as:
- What does the science of consciousness tell us about what happens beyond brain death?
- Does our understanding of consciousness strengthen or weaken the case for free will?
- Is science itself incomplete in the way Gödel showed mathematics is?
Interested? Check out more work by Erik Hoel:
- Erik’s Substack
- An essay on novels and human consciousness (excerpt from “The World Behind the World: Consciousness, Free Will, and the Limits of Science”)
- An essay on dangers of AI, genetic enginnering and brain-tampering
- An essay on the biological function of dreams