- This salon has passed.
Time vs. Dime: Building Trust for a Better Future
October 2, 2021 at 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm CEST
Start time where you are: Your time zone couldn't be detected
Join Eyal Shay for a creative pursuit of reimagining societal structures and modes of transaction.
In the beginning there was trust. Bands of Homo sapiens relied on internal trust-based bonds for surviving and thriving. Then came simple trade, followed by common currency, or money. Money allowed people to leave behind the paradigm of gifting with the knowledge that others be there for them when the time comes. It was now possible to be instantly helped materially at the time of a purchase.
The invention of money clearly helped humanity make technological progress, but can we say the same about the domain of human flourishing? While we normally maintain trust-based connections with family and maybe a few close friends, we live in the age of money. Could this be a hindrance for enjoying wellbeing, both individually and collectively?
In this salon, we will compare and contrast trust and money – the two most powerful social lubricants our species has used. We will share personal stories and thoughts about the two concepts, and dedicate some time for thinking about the future:
- Could we, and should we, in an age of abundance, switch back to basing our societies on trust?
- How would we go about building trust in modernity?
- Is a new type of economy due?
- What are some actionable practices that could promote trust-building?
- How to build (and rebuild) trust
- What we don’t understand about trust
- Seth Godin: The Irrational Thing about Trust
📚 Become a member, get a free ticket every month, access our forums, members-only events, and more!