- This salon has passed.
Haunted by Alternate Universes: What Are the Other “Yous” Up To?
March 25, 2023 at 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm EDT
Start time where you are: Your time zone couldn't be detected
We’ve all had pivotal moments that permanently altered the trajectories of our lives. Maybe it was deciding on college majors or whether to move to a country for a job. Maybe it was committing to a relationship or breaking off an engagement. What makes these choices so hard? Our anxiety around decision-making stems from the fact that we each have one precious life to live. None of us want to end up on our deathbed with regrets.
We want our choices to have meaning, and we tell stories about ourselves by connecting the dots among these choices. But regardless of the choices you’ve made, you’ve probably wondered about the version of “you” that made the opposite choice in an alternate timeline. While we don’t have the ability to swap timelines, there are still ways to move forward, take bold action, and move through regret.
But what got you here won’t get you there. So what are you willing to sacrifice about who you are today in order to grow?
In this salon, we’ll discuss questions like:
- Who are we without our memories?
- What parts of your identity can be shed and which parts are essential?
- What are the alternate universes that haunt you?
- What is the optimal level of risk tolerance?
- Is the fear of death biological or cultural?
Cover Image by Nat Sharpe.
- The Road Not Taken By Robert Frost
- Dan Gilbert: The psychology of your future self | TED Talk
- Speak, Memory
- Tatami Galaxy (2010)
- Transcending Regrets, Problems, and Mistakes - Malcolm Ocean
- The Trouble with Optionality | Opinion | The Harvard Crimson
- How to make hard choices | Ruth Chang
- What Makes You You? — Wait But Why