- This salon has passed.
Parenting Fear Factor: What Keeps You Up at Night?
Saturday January 27 at 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm CST
Start time where you are: Your time zone couldn't be detected
Why is having kids so scary? Join Martha Sharpe in this safe space to vent our fears and concerns when it comes to having kids or the kids we already have. We’ll lay the groundwork for future discussions by delving into what makes it so difficult.
Exploring the Core Question:
In our inaugural session of the series, we delve into the questions: “Why is parenting so hard?” and “Why is having kids so scary?” This discussion aims to uncover the underlying reasons behind these feelings and the increasing trend of people choosing to have children later in life, or not at all.
Themes of the Discussion:
- Cultural and Societal Pressures: We will explore how cultural norms and societal expectations might contribute to the perceived difficulty of parenting. Is there something about our modern lifestyle that intensifies these challenges?
- Financial and Social Concerns: Are financial pressures the main deterrent, or do social factors play a more significant role? We’ll discuss how economic stability and social dynamics influence the decision to have children.
- Unrealistic Expectations: Do unrealistic expectations about parenting, propagated by media or societal standards, contribute to the fear of having children? We’ll examine how these expectations shape our perceptions and experiences.
- Personal Experiences and Impressions: Participants are encouraged to share their personal experiences and impressions. What are the specific aspects of parenting that you find daunting or challenging?
Objective of the Session:
- Open Dialogue: Create a safe space for open and honest dialogue about the fears and challenges of parenting.
- Understanding Trends: Analyze current trends in family planning and understand the factors influencing these decisions.
- Collective Insight: Gain insights from diverse perspectives to better understand the complexities of modern parenting.
Who Should Attend:
Whether you are a parent grappling with these challenges, someone considering parenthood, or simply interested in the societal aspects of family life, your voice is important. Help us untangle the complexities of parenting in our culture and contribute to a deeper understanding of what makes it so hard.
This is more of a personal-sharing discussion, but there are plenty of articles (many contradictory) about why people aren’t having children. Here are a couple just to give food for thought: