- This salon has passed.
The Future of Formal Debate
November 28, 2021 at 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm EST
Start time where you are: Your time zone couldn't be detected
In her debut salon, former college debater and generally argumentative person Alice Fine will lead a discussion on formal debate, including high school and college debate, political debates, and debates among public intellectuals (such as the Munk Debates).
“[Debate teams set] the goal of persuasion above the goal of truth. The debater’s strength lies not in intellectual curiosity nor in amenability to rational persuasion by others, but in his skill at defending a preconception come what may.” –W. V. O. Quine
In this salon, we’ll discuss the practice of formal debate, as well as its effects on debaters, audiences of debate, and discourse norms in general.
We’ll consider questions like:
- What are the assumptions implicit in formal debate?
- Why do we find debate compelling to watch?
- What different forms of debate can we imagine?
- What kinds of people get involved in debate, and who is turned off by or excluded from it? Why?
- What are our personal goals when debating, whether formally or informally?
- How can we learn to debate in a way that better achieves those goals?
Check out before the salon:
📚 Become a member, get a free ticket every month, access our forums, members-only events, and more!