- This salon has passed.
A Conversation on Nonviolent Communication: Observation, Feelings, Needs, Requests
May 20, 2021 at 9:00 pm - 11:30 pm CEST
Start time where you are: Your time zone couldn't be detected
Interintellect Patricia Hurducas will lead a discussion on nonviolent communication, the power of words, and the different forms of empathy.
At this salon we will explore the topic of compassionate (nonviolent) communication from the words we use in a conversation to the way we listen to other people. Nonviolent communication evolved from concepts used in person-centered therapy, and was developed by clinical psychologist Marshall Rosenberg beginning in the 1960s and 1970s. Nonviolent communication holds that most conflicts between individuals or groups arise from miscommunication about their human needs, due to coercive or manipulative language that aims to induce fear, guilt, and shame.
Compassionate/ respectful/ nonviolent communication implies:
- Consciousness: a set of principles that supports living a life of collaboration, courage, compassion.
- Language: understanding how words contribute to connecting with people or distancing ourselves from people.
- Communication: knowing how to ask for what you want and how to hear others even when you disagree.
- Means of Influence: understanding power, sharing “power with others”, rather than using “power over others”.
During the salon we will explore also the topics of active listening and empathic listening and the differences/similarities between the two. We will dive deep also into the topics of (self)empathy, compassion, and altruism. In the last part of the salon we will have a 30 minutes workshop to apply what we discussed during the salon.
Great to read or to watch pre-salon:
- NVC Marshall Rosenberg – San Francisco Workshop
- On Three Types of Empathy: the Perfect, the Truncated, and the Contaminated
- Active Listening
- 12:00 PM in San Francisco
- 3:00 PM in New York
- 8:00 PM in London
- 9:00 PM in Berlin
Why not add the ii Calendar to your calendar?
📚 Become a member, get a free ticket every month, access our forums, members-only events, and more!