- This salon has passed.
Spiritual Journeys in and out of Religion
April 11, 2023 at 2:00 pm - 4:30 pm EDT
Start time where you are: Your time zone couldn't be detected
Join host Alex Criddle on an exploration of spiritual journeys, with conversations ranging from spiritual experience in leaving and joining a religion.
Over the past 70 years, each generation has become less religious than the previous one. This being the case the number of people that claim to be “spiritual but not religious” is at an all time high. But what does it mean to be spiritual but not religious? Is it merely to disaffect from one’s prior religion but retain the metaphysical framework? Is it simply a lack of research and personal experience with the divine? Are the traditional structures to be blamed? How do we glean the benefits organized religion has to offer while laying aside some of the problematic and dogmatic structures?
We’ll talk about:
- Tracing our spiritual journeys out of or into a religious tradition.
- What it means to leave/join a religion. Is it merely rejecting the truth claims? The worldview? Its role in our lives? Can we ever be entirely separate from a religion we were raised in?
- How religion shapes our lives both overtly and covertly.
- Where does the religious impulse drive us now?
- What we’ve lost and gained from the exodus out of traditional religious structures.
- How to thrive after leaving your religion
- Modeling the future of religion
- What leaving religion has done for me