- This salon has passed.
The Transgression of Bret Easton Ellis: A Salon in Virtual Reality
August 26, 2021 at 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm EDT
Start time where you are: Your time zone couldn't be detected
In an i.i. first, the discussion will take place in virtual reality, via the Virgils VR platform. No headset? No problem. The platform is accessible from any web browser. (Though, we do recommend joining from an Oculus Quest 2.) The salon will be hosted by MIT lecturer & best-selling author Micah Nathan and Virgils co-founder Christian Ulstrup.
Who’s afraid of Bret Easton Ellis?
Questions for discussion:
- BEE’s novels are distinctly “1980s Americana,” with copious amounts of drugs, New Wave, and MTV. Why did they resonate so much with Gen X culture? Are his characters purely products of the times, or is their something perennial about their personalities?
- What is the purpose of satire, irony, and cynicism in art? Is it useful or a dead end?
- How do these books make you feel? And did those feelings translate to film?
- Is there such a thing as the anti-hero’s journey?
- Why the extreme behavior and violence, especially in light of the 80s’s relative abundance and economic growth?
📚 Become a member, get a free ticket every month, access our forums, members-only events, and more!