- This salon has passed.
Web3 and Society – Old Governance, New Governance With Kyla Scanlon and Jon Hillis – SuperSalon
October 22, 2022 at 10:00 am - 12:00 pm PDT
Start time where you are: Your time zone couldn't be detected
Popular financial educator Kyla Scanlon and Cabin DAO founder Jon Hillis join hosts Alaka Halder and Wes Chow for this Web3 and Society series kick-off episode on the future of building and governing societies with web3. With this new Interintellect series, we hope to make web3 accessible to all and create a forum for discussing its applications, potential, and challenges. Join this launch conversation, and learn more about this exciting transition moment we’re going through!
The US economy is centralized: the Federal Reserve is a single source of money, Congress approves budgets and allocates spending, and corporations denote inflows and outflows of cash using a single currency. Meanwhile, new Decentralized Autonomous Organizations (DAOs) promise to upend these structures and create a new dynamic economy. Every DAO can issue its own currency, develop its own governance mechanism, and enable its own economy.
Kyla Scanlon is a classically trained economist and educator investigating how Web3 and crypto might pull apart a centralized economy. Jon Hillis, technologist and Instacart’s former Director of Product, is running such an experiment on the ground with Cabin, a network city for online creators. Its community is developing shared culture, economy, and governance across a global network of physical locations. The first cabins were established in Texas using a DAO framework, and two neighborhoods have been added in California. Today, Cabin is offering support to individuals who want to start their own neighborhoods in a similar ethos. Kyla and Jon will dive into the differences and similarities of the old and the new systems, whether they can learn from and build on each other, or a total disruption is inevitable.
During this SuperSalon, we’ll discuss:
- What’s not working about the old financial system?
- What are DAOs? What do you need to create and run one?
- What are the benefits and trade-offs of decentralized vs. centralized governance?
- What is the role of equity in traditional finance? How do DAOs approach ownership?
- What functions do smart contracts enable? Are there new forms of functionality smart contracts enable that have no centralized analogue?
- How have DAOs been used in the real world? We’ll discuss forays into financial investing, funding projects in the arts and sciences, and philanthropy
Upcoming episodes of this monthly series will feature Alex Tabarrok, Glen Weyl, Packy McCormick, Erik Hoel, Sari Azout, Alex Masmej, Bradley Miles, Evan Miyazono, and many others! More info on the series’ program here.
Suggested preparation for the kickoff episode:
- The Huge Opportunity in DAOs – Kyla Scanlon’s Youtube
- Kyla Scanlon: Gen Z Creator on Why Decentralization and the Metaverse Matters
- How Jonathan Hillis’ cabin became a DAO
- Cabin Litepaper
- How to DAO 101: Choosing a Tech Stack for CabinDAO
- Tradeoffs, or Why Things Don’t Make Sense – by Kyla Scanlon
Already have a membership? Sign in to get your series ticket.