- This salon has passed.
Mad Men and Masculinity
January 21, 2022 at 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm PST
Start time where you are: Your time zone couldn't be detected
In this first of a 3 part mini-series on the TV show Mad Men, Vivek hosts a discussion on the notions of masculinity explored in the show.
How do the characters of the show (not just the men but the women and children) assert their expectations of masculinity? How do these ideas affect the way the characters act? Why did the 60s ideals of masculinity come about and why and how did they have to change?
Other points of discussion:
- The world of Mad Men through the Protect, Provide, Procreate model of masculinity
- How did non-heteronormative sexualities fit into these models of masculinity? Prominently explored through the character of Salvatore Romano.
- How did women’s entry into the workforce and the sexual revolution affect and challenge these ideals of masculinity? Prominently explored through the difference in Betty and Megan.
- Vivek’s tweets on Don Draper’s performance of masculinity vs Dick Whitman
- Who is Don Draper
- We are all Pete Campbell
- Don Draper and American Masculinity
- Roger Sterling: Mad Man in Decline
All fans and critics of Mad Men alike are welcome. Join us!
Save the date:
This is part of a three part mini-series.
January 30th – Man Men and The Art of The Pitch
February 27th – Mad Men: Ethnicity, Assimilation and Outside Identity
Note: All ticket proceeds will be used to support the InterIntellect book fund
📚 Become a member, get a free ticket every month, access our forums, members-only events, and more!