- This salon has passed.
Exploring the Oracle: An Introduction to the I Ching
Saturday February 4 at 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm UTC+1
Start time where you are: Your time zone couldn't be detected
In his debut Interintellect salon, Dan Lowe will explore the mysteries of the ancient Chinese text, the I Ching. We’ll explore the text as a group, and discover how we can apply its wisdom to our lives today.
The I Ching (or Yi Jing) is one of the world’s oldest books, dating back to Bronze Age China (over 3000 years ago).The I Ching is not just a text to be read, but one to be lived. It’s a book of divination – a text that people can use as a source of wisdom and practical advice about their daily lives. Alongside its cultural significance in East Asia, the I Ching has been a source of fascination for Carl Jung, Herman Hesse, John Cage, and many other intellectuals and creators.
In this salon, Dan will give the historical background of the I Ching, its underlying philosophy, explain the language and symbolism, and demonstrate its use, as well as opening a discussion on how to best use the book today.
In addition, we will explore:
- Yin and Yang: Explaining metaphysical language in the I Ching.
- “Change” and the I Ching – One translation of the title is “The Book of Changes.”
- Legends & Myths: I Ching origin stories and historical fact.
- Secret Histories: What traces of historical events are hidden in the text?
- Demonstrating Divination: I’d like to cast the I Ching to answer a question from someone in the salon, to show how it works.